Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jay-Z: Blueprint 3



HOV! He's back as the messiah of the Hip-Hop game. Nothing better than installing a 3rd (and FINAL?) edition to the Blueprint series. Now I'll be honest here, I didn't really dig this CD until about the 3rd-4th listen. I first felt the CD would be over hyped as people claimed Jay-Z would come as his classic top hit albums. I can't really say where this album is on the list of his overall productions but that's another discussion!

Production wise I loved "Empire State of Mind", "On to the Next One", "Hate" and "Already Home". Those songs caught on to me faster than others did. Lyrically Hov did it again, there is no question in that of course. I wasn't a big fan of D.O.A. really, I thought it was too much of a gimmick and something he wanted to sell records with. As I always say lead the way don't bitch about the game! Besides D.O.A. I can't really complain although I would of liked to hear Lupe Fiasco and Nas featured, and was surprised Drake got a feature (Although not a verse). The second single "Run this Town" sort of got me interested in hearing the album although I also took a while to get into the song.

"A Star is Born" is one hell of a song. I'm feeling Jay on this one all the way. Giving "shout-outs" to those successful in the rap game from their respective areas. "On to the Next One" had some dope lines from Jigga, and it's a bit similar to the next track "Off That".

Overall I'd give a solid 9/10 and it will probably recognized heavily through the next few months and year with different awards. Much love to Hov and his accomplishments, and I will never believe this guy will retire...


No comments:

Post a Comment