Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy MLK Day!


A few years back I started writing something every year on this day to honor Martin Luther King Jr. and his heroic acts. I was motivated to right about it because I saw many of my peers take advantage of what MLK sacrificed his life for. I guess this message would mainly go out to the minority group, or people of color (Yes, all of you that aren't just African American count as you too were discriminated). As a "colored" person, I know for sure that I appreciate Dr. King and understand what he wanted for us. I also believe in equality for all as I hate to see unfair treatment among people.

My message every year is to those people who fail to realize if the Civil Rights movement wasn't successful and the different protests and practices lead by MLK didn't either we could just be getting rights not that long ago, or even still be held under unjust laws. I want to also say many of these colored people today, especially my peers, don't understand what Martin Luther King Jr. was fighting for. Sure this is America and you can practice capitalism, however the drug abuse, lack of education, criminal records, and many other negatives isn't the reason he wanted us to have freedom. I know this can all be a factor caused by the environments certain race groups are brought up in, however MLK has given you all the option to get of that. You're free to get a job, go to school, live life like anyone else in this country. What I don't understand is why put yourself behind the same circumstances of lower living.

I'll be straight to the point. I don't agree with the colored people who put themselves under an image of struggle because they feel the need to act how others portray them. It's a racial issue as well as stereotyping. Understand that the King didn't help you gain freedom for those drawbacks, instead millions of coloreds and him sacrificed themselves to give us the equal opportunity in this country. As a token of appreciation I believe that we should follow through with their ideals set forth as they accomplished their goal. Our goals are to take advantage of the freedoms of equal education, careers, and much more than setting your life under lower standards. Once again, I appreciate and honor what you've done Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment