Friday, September 25, 2009

Jay-Z & Oprah



I will be the first one to admit that I don't really like Oprah that much. However, I can probably soften that issue of dislike upon her after this show with Jay-Z. It's fair enough that she doesn't like rap music for certain reasons, some of which we both might agree on. I shouldn't hate on that really, so no hard feelings for Oprah.

Now on to the interview (can be read here) and show (watch here), I have to say first off Hov was very humble and outspoken. This is one of the reasons the guy is up there beyond rap artists, celebs and a public and American icon that will live on. Compared to Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac, Jigga's comparison goes beyond his own genre to Elvis and The Beatles. Both Oprah and Jay-Z come from poor urban areas and are now two of America's current icons, so to see them connect is an epic happening as thousands showed up outside of Hov's Grandmother's house where the interview was held. I admire what he has done to represent his city and state. This is a man that can positively represent where he's from and have the support of his home state/city but even more the world.

Beyond music, I didn't know Jay was so passionate about his fashion. Seeing where his CEO headquarters was is inspiring to me because I envision myself at his level some day, maybe not on the rap star side though. Having his office in the heart of his city overseeing it and pictures of of his inspirations around it was also something I admired about the inside look. The guy has taken his success, expanded it and became an American icon for our generation. For that I have a lot of respect for Hov, and (cue a Kanye here) he is one of my favorite artists of all-time! Music wise he's now on 11 number one albums, 7 Grammy's and also he paved the way for Kanye West and Rihanna, two big time artists today that should pay some homage to Hov-almighty.

Shawn Carter is truly a class act and one guy in the books of Americans that should be up there with the Elvis', Presidents, The Beatles' and Michael Jordan's. There will be many compared to him, want to be like him, and try to go against him. Blueprint 3 is on it's third week of what I'm only listening to right now and one I'll listen to in a year from now. To the rap game, we need more like this man, we'd all be better off.


No comments:

Post a Comment