Monday, November 16, 2009

NBA Week 2 & 3

Yo! Back again for another version of my NBA weekly update. Well I slacked off for week 2 so I'll have to do it on the fly and train myself to get it going weekly. First off I want to say yes, Brandon Jennings and Dwayne Wade will get some heavy coverage in this week's update from me. I'm a Wade fan outside of my Magic and I'm jumping on the Jennings bandwagon, I hope the best for this young guy because he is truly talented.



Off the Fly:
Kevin Durant and the Thunder: They conintue to show signs of growth and a playoff berth for Oklahoma City. The season is young but the Thunder have more wins already than they did three months into the NBA season last year! They whooped my Magic, gave the Lakers some thunder, and just beat the Spurs. On the flip side they just lost to the Clippers but again a young team that is prone to slipping up more than the average contender.


Denver Nuggets: I was high on them after the first week and in week 2 they would take a 6 game, 9 day road trip out East. It started off well with two wins against the Pacers and Nets but after took a little bump. They dropped the next two which was at Atlanta and Miami. Both quality teams and two teams I feel they needed to show some dominance on to contend with the Lakers. They would then get a one point win in Chicago before losing to the Bucks to end the trip. Overall coming out of the trip they fared at 3-3. Back home last Friday they did give the Lakers some hell at home which was a great way to bounce back. I'm still feeling the Nuggets can get the Lakers on their heels but only time will tell.


New Orleans: Well anytime things go wrong normally a coach is the first one out. Unfortunately this happened to Bryon Scott. I like him as a coach and he really helped the franchise these past years with the cornerstone Chris Paul. I know CP3 loved him as well and really didn't want Scott out but it happens. My take on this is that the Hornets are simply not talented outside of Paul. David West has been a huge lackluster after the 2008 playoffs where he played his best year. Bringing in Okafor for Chandler should of been an upgrade but it hasn't been decided yet. On top of that Chris Paul is down with an ankle injury as the days are gloomy in New Orleans. I hope the best for CP3 and I also hope that Bryon Scott finds work, both guys aren't to fault for the Hornets struggles.



Phoenix Suns: They will be the one team that I certainly underestimated this year. Pending a major meltdown in the season they will make the playoffs. Nash and his two 20 assist games are impressive as well.

Slackers of the Week:

The 3 teams that let Kobe score 40 in 3 nights: Enough Said

Golden State Warriors defense: He's talented and that great but at least make an effort to slow him down! Brandon Jennings for 55!

Honorable Mentions:
Dwayne Wade: As I said, watching him is just amazing. Although they dropped the game to Cleveland we can't forget the poster he laid on Varajeo. However the game winner on the win-less New Jersey Nets was epic as well.

Brandon Jennings: Come on...do I need to continue? 55 points 5 Assist 5 Rebounds. 21/34 shooting 7/8 from 3Pt land.

Last Thoughts:

-Boston, Cleveland, Orlando all have three loses while Atlanta and Miami currently sit one and two in the East. Ok, nothing to panic about but the stakes might be higher this year around if they keep up the competition. The West is not different as Phoenix and Portland are one and two out there.

-I'm debating whether to give the green light to the Thunder making the playoffs. I like what I see from them defensively, and obviously the offensive is there with Durant, Westbrook and Harden. If New Orleans drops any lower than they are now, I think the Thunder will take their place for playoff contention.

-If someone told me the Bucks would be 5-2 through seven games I wouldn't really buy it. Depending on how you look at them, they've beaten some quality teams if you ranked them in the gutter. If not their most notable win is against the Nuggets. I'm sure Jennings will keep them in some form of playoff contention but once things settle down they might be brought back down to earth.

-Joakim Noah currently leads the league in rebounding....come on Dwight get your act together!

-Looking forward to Wednesday's match-up of Cavs @ Wizards and Friday's Magic @ Celtics. Two games that should be some good basketball.

Play of the Week: (easily)


Performer of the Week: (tough)



No comments:

Post a Comment